The answers to the following questions will be found in the text reading assignments, and the assigned web essay for Lesson 7.
Required Format: A 2 point penalty will be deducted for not following the format described (even if all the answers are correct)!
Send the answers to me, as an email through WebCT. Use "Homework #7" as the subject line.
As the body of the email, the answers should be arranged vertically, single file, like so:
All required answers for Homework #7 are: either a multiple choice letter, or a one word fill in the blank.
When the time period for homework submission has passed, grades will be posted which you may then view using the "My Grades" function of WebCT through the course home page.
1. An excellent beginner's book for a would-be facetor is Faceting for Amateurs by Glenn and Martha:
2. The chisel shaped tool used to hand carve designs into gold or other metals is called a:
b. flex shaft
3. A step cut gem is sometimes called a "trap" cut because:
a. it traps the light
b. the facets have a shape like a mouse trap
c. in honor of Louis Trap who first invented the cut
d. the facets are shaped like trapezoids
e. the cut is so beautiful it "traps" the viewer
4. Historically the ____________ was a popular gemstone style with the Greeks and Romans, who found them useful as seals for wax and clay.
d. rose cut
e. baroque cut
5. The "Old Mine" cut, an early type of brilliant cut for diamonds, has the face up outline that we would today call a/an:
a. square cushion
b. emerald cut
6. Quartz beads were once used as a form of currency in the country we call ________today:
7. Idar-Oberstein in the country of ___________is currently, and has long been. a world center for the engraving and carving of gemstones.
8. In order to be a successful facetor the following attributes and characteristics are essential:
a. superior strength of the upper arms and torso
b. a high level of proficiency with mechanical equipment
c. superior gemological knowledge
d. 20/20 vision, with especially fine peripheral vision
e. none of these are essential
9. The word "cabochon" derives from the French-Norman word meaning:
10. The marquis cut is also known as a ____________ and the pear cut as a ___________.
b. trap cut/brilliant cut
c. Old Mine cut/rose cut
e. pendeloque/trap cut
** "A Word to the Wise": In order to get the full 20 points on this, and every other homework, you must have all the correct answers, they must be in proper format as described above AND your email to me must be received and logged in by WebCT before the closing time for the assignment. As there are inevitable computer downtimes, disconnects and other such issues, I suggest that you do not wait until the very last moment to attempt to submit the work.