The answers to the following questions will be found in the text reading assignments, and the assigned web essays for Lesson 1.
Required Format: A 2 point penalty will be deducted for not following the format described (even if all the answers are correct)!
Send the answers to me, as an email through WebCT. Use "Homework #1" as the subject line.
As the body of the email, the answers should be arranged vertically, single file, like so:
All required answers for Homework #1 are: a multiple choice letter, True/False, or a single word.
When the time period for homework submission has passed, grades will be posted which you may then view using the "My Grades" function of WebCT through the course home page.
1. Which of these is an ancient explanation for the origin of the gem amber? Amber is:
a. solidified sunshine
b. permanently frozen water
c. geologically altered tree resin
d. birds' tears
e. semi-melted gold
2. What is the most valuable precious metal?
3. Which is the least appropriate jewelry use for the gem chrome diopside?
a. brooches or pins
b. daily wear rings
e. occasional wear rings with protective settings
4. What does the Hall text suggest is the most important aspect of gem beauty?
5. There are no notable deposits of jet yet found in:
d. the USA
6. A commonly used, reasonably good looking, inexpensive simulant for the natural gem aquamarine is:
a. medium light greenish blue beryl
b. blue quartz
c. blue synthetic spinel
d. synthetic aquamarine
e. blue topaz
7. Of pearl, coral, ivory or amber, which does the Lyman text say is/are totally non-crystalline?
e. all of the above
8. True or False: A major deposit of rock crystal is located in the USA in the State of New York:
9. A glass simulant of jet that was popular in Victorian times is known as:
b. black onyx
c. black amber
d. ebony wood
e. French jet
10. The most valuable color for Benitoite is:
a. very light blue
b. very dark blue
c. medium dark blue
d. blue green
e. medium light blue
** "A Word to the Wise": In order to get the full 20 points on this, and every other homework, you must have all the correct answers, they must be in proper format as described above AND your email to me must be received and logged in by WebCT before the closing time for the assignment. As there are inevitable computer downtimes, disconnects and other such issues, I suggest that you do not wait until the very last moment to attempt to submit the work.